Saturday, November 1, 2014

Our Trip to California!!

Um, I'll try not to go overboard here.

For the past year, we've been planning on taking the kids to Disneyland in the Fall.  It's been over 4 years since we last went!  The kids were getting the itch and kept asking if we could go to Disneyland; it was hard keeping it a secret for so long!  A couple weeks before, I wrapped up this box, which the kids found on the kitchen table when they came down for breakfast.

We invited my parents and Joshua to join us (separately).  We got there Saturday evening.  In talking with my mom, I guess my dad was lamenting over the fact that he wished he could visit the place he lived for a year while he worked in California.  We originally thought about attending our old optometry school ward, but decided, what the heck, why not drive up to see where my dad lived??  We woke up extra early Sunday morning to make the two hour trek to Carpinteria, a little beach town kinda near Santa Barbara.  The ward was really, REALLY small, not what we're used to at all.  I actually played the piano in Relief Society because they didn't have anyone!  The coolest thing is that they have a large garden plot out back.  We picked a butternut squash and avocados, tried a pineapple guava.  I think it definitely made my dad's day that he could say hi to those who were his "family" while he was away.

This picture is funny- my little smirk because I narrowly escaped being pulled over by a cop!!!  I was coming down a long hill, probably doing 90 mph and saw the cop.  I immediately slowed down, but he pulled out and got behind me.  My heart was racing!  Thankfully, he didn't think it worth his time to pull over an out-of-towner.  Whew!

I actually squealed out loud when I saw the HOLLYWOOD sign!!  My first time!!  I wanted to go back by to get a pic, but it was kinda out of the way, darn.

After church, we spent a couple hours at the beach.  I honest and truthfully though the water would be too cold and the kids wouldn't want to get in the water.  This is the SECOND time we've been to the beach in California and haven't brought their swimsuits.  When will I learn???!  The big kids were up to their necks in the ocean, fully clothed, with jeans on, no less.  Poor Gavin and Preston's pants wouldn't stay up!  It was a tad obvious that we were "tourists" with the lack of beach attire.
Love this pic!!!!
soaked, head to toe

I think these are called "brittle stars," a type of starfish
an urchin
running on the beach = pure joy
he kept crying because his saggy, wet pants wouldn't stay up, hahahaha!!

On the way back down to our hotel, we stopped by the Los Angeles temple.  In all our time living in California, we never got up that direction, so I'm glad we made the time to at least make a quick visit.

Disneyland madness to follow.....!!!

No comments: