Saturday, August 4, 2012

Wrapping up the summer with a trip to the AZ Science Center

I bought a family summer pass from Living Social for $22 to the Arizona Science Center.  Even though you can use it as many times as you'd like until Labor Day, it pays for itself in one trip.  The one thing I still have a hard time with living out here is how far away stuff like this is.  I would have annual passes to the Phx Zoo, the Children's Museum of Phx and the AZ Science Center, but they are all nearly an hour drive from our house, so trips to these places don't happen nearly as often as I would like.  The last time we went to the AZ Science Center was four years go (and I blogged about it!) and when I look at those pictures, the kids look like babies!

We ended up spending almost 5 hours at the science center yesterday.  Gotta make the drive worth it!   We took our time, looking at everything and trying everything.  My kids are totally fascinated by stuff like this!

 The fun begins right in the entrance hall!  That's Brooklyn's eye in the upper left hand corner!
Your dermis is showing. haha
This was awesome!  The idea is to relax your mind in order to move the ball to your opponent's side.  Blake won every time! And Brooklyn pouted every time!
 An unsuspecting Gavin throwing balls into the "sneezer."  Blake & Brooklyn have been talking about this since the last time we went to the Science Center. I'm pretty sure it terrified Gavin back then and right after it sneezed this time, he kept his hands over his ears until we left the vicinity!
This heart beat drum was awesome!  You put your hands on the sensors and the mallet beat the bass drum in the rhythm of your heart beat.
Brooklyn and Blake competed in a wheelchair race.  You actually spin the wheels with your hands to make your person on the screen go.  Blake won!
 Afterward, Brooklyn said, "Mom!  Look at my muscles!" :)

I let Brooklyn and Blake go on the Sky Cycle, which basically is a bike on a tightrope across the second floor of the science center.  Brooklyn may be the most adventurous of the group; she's always wanting to do things like this!  Blake baaaaaarely squeaked by with his height.  Here they are all harnessed up and ready to go- 
I swear,when I look at this picture of Blake, I fast forward 7 years and see him as a grown up teenage boy, handsome little dude!
Here are videos of them each taking their turn riding the bike.  Sometimes I should just be quiet while I'm taking video.  I'm such a nagging mother!!
 You may think Brooklyn is crying in this picture.  She's not.  She's laughing hysterically!
 Gavin lifted his body weight
 Again, the brave one.  Blake didn't trust me that he wouldn't die lying on this bed of nails.
 Spin spin spinning!
 Blake joined this group of boys to have a tug of war between two older teens.
Perfect exhibit to keep them happy and nearby while I nursed the baby on a comfy couch.  They said they were catching Nerds (candy).
 Learned their names in Morse code
 Creating waves
With our summer pass, we got free tickets to the Math Alive! exhibit.  It was these ordinary, every day things and how math is involved in it all.
 Preston gives the rock wall a go
Such a ballerina!  It's funny how many times I catch her in poses like this.  It was fun to watch the computer translate your image into designs.
Blake on the snowboarding simulator

I was amazed by this!!  All these numbers, rotated and at varying depths put together to make this silhouette of a child! Brilliant!
 Blake loved this!  You had to figure out how many degrees to rotate and spaces to move your rover to pick up rocks.
 Oh, the elusive Miss Hayden!  She was there, behaving like a perfect little lady!!
 B&B powering the light bulbs by pedaling bikes
 We saved the water play for last and spent a good 30 minutes in here! 
  I gave them two options from the souvenir shop- a 99 cent rock candy or nothing.
It was the perfect way to end our summer, by stimulating our brains with all things science!  School starts next week!

No comments: