Friday, August 26, 2011

I should have posted about our chicken coop...

...but instead, I'm sad to say that all 7 of our chickens and our turkey died yesterday. :(

We've been under a heat advisory all this week with near record-breaking temps, so I guess we should've been a little more vigilant about checking up on them. I'm really sad for our kids, especially Brooklyn. She loved those chickens and was always so good about playing with them and holding them. I wish so badly that I had taken a picture on Monday when she was carrying the turkey around. He had gotten SO giant!!! We had had them for four months and I'm pretty sure we would have been getting eggs here in the next couple months, once it cooled down. So sad.

A month ago, we finally got the help and supplies to build the chickens a coop. Our friend, Preston Strebeck, came over and helped Matt and Derek build a giant new home for our birds. They sweated the day away to replicate a coop I had seen online. We eventually have to add a ramp and run, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

Cousins-in-a-coopPaintingFinished coop!Lid lifts up to reveal nesting box area.Pretty messy in there, but a photo of the inside of the coop. And the last photos of the chickens.
RIP sweet birdies ~ Olivia, Maizy, Matilda, Goldie, Rosie, Brownie, Leopard and Tiny Melvin

No comments: