Saturday, January 25, 2014

Gavin's baptism day

What a special day for Gavin!  He was beyond excited to be able to be baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!

Since Matt is a member of the bishopric, he got to do Gavin's baptismal interview.  Matt said it was such a special experience and the Spirit was felt strongly.  From Matthew:  It was such a wonderful experience interviewing Gavin for baptism.  As we sat down he said a prayer and we went over the basic principles of the gospel.  Not only was he a smarty pants and knew the principles of the gospel but you could see his spirit shining through.  When I asked him if he believed The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was the true church he said, "Yes."  I then asked him if he believed Jesus Christ was his savior and he said, "Yes."  When I asked him if he believed President Thomas S. Monson was a prophet of God his eyes welled up a bit and he said, "Yes."  I asked him how he knew that and he said, "When we went to conference and he walked in the room I wanted to go shake his hand."  I then asked what made him want to shake his hand and he said as he began crying and threw himself into my arms, "Because I knew he was a prophet of God!"  He had felt the spirit before, but he had never been overwhelmed like that with the spirit.  I explained to him that sometimes the spirit fills us up so much that happy tears come out.  This was one of my favorite experiences being a father.


We had lots of family and friends join us for the occasion!
The Hamiltons
Grandpa & Grandma Hamilton
Great Grandma Hamilton
Great Grandma LeBaron
Grandma & Grandpa Palmer
Great Grandma & Grandpa Palmer


His smile~ pure joy!!!  Can't wait to be baptized!
Gavin with Daddy, dressed in their white clothes
Aunt Debbie
Aunt Candy, Uncle David and Dustin Hamilton

Gavin got a few gift for his baptism~ 
A picture of Christ from Grandma LeBaron

Little hymn book with his name on it from Grandma & Grandpa Palmer

 A mission fund piggy bank from the Yost family.  
He promptly put nearly all his dollar bills inside and even got a few donations!

And scriptures from Mom & Dad!

I just want to include a record of the program so we remember who participated:
Grandma Hamilton led the music, Trish Anderson (ward friend) played the piano.
Opening song was I Am A Child of God, opening prayer was given by Aunt Jen Hilton.
Aunt Kristin Palmer gave the talk on baptism, Matt baptized Gavin, with grandpas as witnesses.
Gavin, his siblings and cousins sang To Bring the World His Truth, Aunt Melissa McCoy gave the talk on the Holy Ghost.  Matt confirmed Gavin.
Closing song was When I Am Baptized, closing prayer was given by Aunt Becky Yost.

I had Gavin write his testimony down- "I know the church is true and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet.  The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was restored by Joseph Smith and there is one little thing I want to tell you.  Every single one of us can be baptized.  We are all children of God.  We are very special to God."

Little notecards were passed around at the baptism for everyone to write a note to Gavin.  Here's what I wrote- "I am so very happy that you chose to be baptized, just like our Savior, Jesus Christ was a long ime ago.  I hope you always remember this special day and how you felt.  Remember to be a good example to your friends and brothers and sister.  Always choose the right!!  I love you so very much, Gavin!!"

~~~~

We had professional pictures taken of Gavin (by the same lady that took B&B's) in his suit.  I love how handsome my boys look with a fresh haircut, in a suit and tie!

No comments: