Monday, July 20, 2015

Dominican Republic~ day 1

Wow!!  Where to even begin!!  I think it was back in March?  Matt called me and said, "Do you want to go to the Dominican Republic this summer?" and I said, "Um, YES??!"

He manages the eye care for the San Francisco Giants minor league team and I guess they contacted him and asked if he would be interested in screening their developmental league players they have out in the Dominican.  They would take care of our stay for the week and we would just pay our way there.  Done, sold, let's go!

We got our passports, prepped, packed and couldn't be more excited to go!  I had a little bit of anxiety; first of all, it's always nerve wracking to leave your kids for a long time.  Second, other than one trip to Rocky Point in Mexico, I have never left the comfort of the United States.  I wasn't really sure what to expect going to a third world country where I didn't speak the language.  I remember enough vocabulary from high school Spanish to get the jist of what's being said, but can't really hold a conversation.  I did find comfort in the fact that Matt is fluent in Spanish so at least he could communicate with the people there.

We took a red-eye flight from Phx to Miami and then onto the Dominican Republic.  The Giants sent Edgar to greet us at the airport and take us to our hotel.  When we checked in, they asked, "You're with the Major League baseball?"  Why, yes we are! ;)   We stayed in downtown Santo Domingo at the Embassy Suites hotel.  You could see the Caribbean Sea from our hotel room!

We got checked in, got changed and headed out to do an endowment session at the temple.  We asked the concierge to call us a "driver" (his name was Francisco) and off we went!  I was super nervous about this experience because obviously, I don't speak the language, but they have these little headsets you can wear that follow along the entire ordinance in your native language!  The sisters were helpful in getting me all set up.  Matt and I were asked to be the witness couple, which is always a special opportunity.  I love being able to visit the temples where we visit!  They are all so unique but the most important thing is no matter where you are, it's the SAME.  Same quiet spirit, same words, same important work being done.

We had asked Edgar what were staple foods that the Dominicans ate.  I wanted to make sure that we experienced the local cuisine while we were there.  Francisco picked us up from the temple and took us to a restaurant that came highly recommended to us- Adrian's Tropical.  It was literally RIGHT on the water.  We ordered camarofongo (mashed plantains + shrimp), a plate of mixed meats and yucca.  Very interesting!  But the fruit drinks, oh my!!  Right up my alley!  I got the tropical smiles coconut drink and Matt could not get enough of the jugo de mango!

One of the things I instantly noticed was that drivers honk their horns for EVERYTHING!  They drive crazy, cutting other people off without a second thought, passing just inches by other cars.   There are motorbikes EVERYWHERE that zoom in between and around cars.  Two and three people squished on the bikes along with who knows what piled up on the back.  I had to close my eyes and just pray that we made it to our destinations safely!!!

No comments: