Tuesday, February 12, 2008

While the cat's away, the mice will play!!!! Days 1 and 2

Matt is back in California for part of this week (left Sunday, will be back late Thursday night) for school stuff and I've been pretty anxious about being by myself with the kids for 5 days. I don't think I've ever had to do that before! Not that I can't handle it, just not having any relief walking in the door at 6:00pm each day! ;)

Soooooooo, my gameplan: stay as BUSY as possible = getting out of the house!!!! I have had something planned every morning thus far, just to keep us (me) sane.

MONDAY

Monday is lunch-at-the-park day for our ward. We were pretty regular at going for awhile, but the rainy weather and sick kids have kept us from going for the past couple weeks. I decided that today, even though my kids are hacking up a lung, we'd be going to park day. And boy am I glad we did! Usually it had been just two or three mommies and their kids, but this time, there were seven or eight mommies! It was so nice to be able to talk with some of the ladies I never get to see/talk to because they are in Young Women's or Primary! The kids had a great time playing with friends from Primary, too! Gavin slept like a rock after we got home!!!!

While at the park, we got a dinner invitation from one of the ladies, which I was grateful for #1, because I had no idea what I was going to make for dinner and #2, because it gave us something to do to beat that infamous bewitching hour. It was just three of us girls, sans hubbies, and our kids! It was hard to leave because we were having such a good time chatting (why do these conversations always end up about childbirth?!??!?) and I knew what lie ahead- the bedtime routine!!! We got home, went straight to baths, jammies, teeth brushing, storytime and prayers. Amazingly, the kids were in bed just before 8pm and I was feeling pretty good!!! Gavin turned it into a bit of a circus, but we survived!

TUESDAY

This morning, I had my visiting teacher scheduled to come at 10am. I had the kids all ready, so after she left, we headed out the door. Off to visit grandma (my mom) at "her" flower shop!! It's not really "her's," she just works there. Everyone loves seeing the kids and grandma gives them a free balloon! :)Afterward, we ran a few errands; Trader Joes, Michaels and WalMart. The kids' lunch was super nutritious and well rounded today, cinnamon alphabet crackers and a few squirts from my water bottle! LOL! I guess our little game is working because for the second day in a row, Gavin didn't make a peep when I put him down at naptime!

Brittney (my sis) came over for dinner. It's always nice to have an extra set of hands! One Blake funny during dinner- for the time being, we have the twins sitting by each other at the table again. We've had to separate them because they just don't do well that close. So tonight, Blake whips Brooklyn's hair into her face and says, "You are a hairy woman!!!" What a riot! I was dying laughing!!

After dinner, we played a round of Disney DVD Bingo and then Clue Jr. Once again, it's time for the dreaded bedtime routine! Things went smoothly, but it took over an hour of putting Gavin BACK into his crib, threatening the twins within and inch of their life if they got out of their beds again and eventually removing Blake from the room entirely before they settled down for good. Thank goodness for Britt, otherwise I probably would have lost it!!!! I had ordered No Reservations on pay-per-view so we watched while we munched on popcorn and candy. It was a very cute movie, but just a renter. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

I'm finding out that I'm coping much better than I expected I would. Could I do this full time? No way! I've had a teeny, tiny glimpse at what single moms deal with every day and I have much sympathy for them! I don't know how they do it and I'm glad I have a husband that won't have to travel often for work! I realized if I keep myself even-tempered, take the time to get involved with what the kids are doing throughout the day and make sure we stay busy, I do fine. We're all obviously missing Daddy (especially Brooklyn!) and want him back home ASAP!

Stay tuned! We have more fun planned for days 3 and 4!!!!

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Way to go! That's great that things are going better than you thought. I look forward to hearing what you do the next couple of days. Take care!

M+J said...

Okay ... you're the blogging queen! I love your blog and all the fun pics. You're great at putting a super attitude and fun spin on little life events. I'm glad days 1 & 2 were fun, and I'm glad that we had more mommies at lunch-at-the-park too! Although, I am glad for the time we had with the small number of us too so I could get to know you better!

mad white woman said...

you're a great mom. i need to take lessons. :) good luck with days 3&4... well, i guess only 4 remains. i'm with you and admire what many single moms have to deal with. can you imagine having to work on top of it too? ugh, that'd be tough!

Trenda said...

Sounds like you have been having a better time than we have while Craig is gone! I got sick the day he left, and I'm just starting to feel better. Ambree also got it so I was up in the middle of the night with her while I was sick too! Luckily I have had help throughout the day from my mother in law. I know what you mean about the single mom thing . . . that would be so hard!
PS-I got Cade some valentines to give to family and friends. When I asked him who he wanted to give them to he was very quick to say Blake and Brooklyn! He misses them! So, we gave them to craig to give to matt, hopefully he does!