Thursday, February 28, 2008

Food, glorious FOOD!!!

This entry is going to be dedicated to FOOD! Just in case you didn't guess that from the title!! ;)

I tried a new recipe last night for dinner, broccoli manicotti. I really like trying new recipes with my family because I feel like I get in a rut SO often with my cooking! I enjoy cooking (and baking for that matter), as long as it's nothing too complicated. I was a bit worried that the kids might not like it, but my worrying was for naught! All three kids gobbled it right up, even Gavin, who won't touch regular steamed broccoli! Matt and I thought it was pretty tasty as well. So it gets a thumbs up from our family!! :)

Broccoli Manicotti

1 (8 ounce) package manicotti shells
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 jar of pasta sauce (or more if you like it saucy)
2-3 cups of broccoli

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add manicotti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a bowl, mix 3 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, and basil. Steam broccoli then drain and cool. Chop up into bite sizes and add to cheese mixture.
Stuff cooked manicotti with the mixture.
Spread enough pasta sauce to cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the dish, and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and continue baking 10 minutes, until mozzarella is melted and bubbly.

I'm thinking about adding a recipe every week to my blog. Yes? No?

*******************************************************

This time of the year, aside from Christmas, is the WORST for me in regards to food! And I mean eating JUNK!!!! I'm a baked goods-lovin', candy-gobbling fool! These are the two culprits currently trying to sabotage my weight loss efforts-


Remember Matt's mint M&M craze??? (BTW, he has 11 bags left out of those 20!) Well, this *could* be mine; tropical Starburst jellybeans!!!! I tried SOOOOOO hard to resist these babies, but they just JUMPED right into my cart at Target!!! I love them because they still have the original tropical Starburst flavors (I was so ticked when they changed them!!!) and they are just so yummy! The problem is, one handful turns into another handful and before I know it, the bag is gone!!! I am allowing myself TWO bags this Easter season (one is already gone) and that's IT! Thank goodness Easter is so early this year and they'll be off the shelves before I know it!

Girl Scout Cookies - tis the season! Samoas are my favorite and Matt's are the Thin Mints, preferably frozen. My loving sister didn't even have to ask before she ordered these for us (two boxes of each) and that's also all I'm allowing to come into this house! I WILL not be bad!

*******************************************************

Snacks that we love at the moment:

1. Trader Joe's Cinnamon Schoolbook Cookies ~ These taste like snickerdoodles! When Brooklyn and Blake have these, I make them tell me a word that starts with the letter they are about to eat. See, you CAN play with your food! ;)

2. Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Honey Pretzel Sticks ~ Ooooh, these are delightful, for mommy and kid alike! My fave! Very few brands of pretzels Blake can have, but these are a go!

3. Fresh Blueberries ~ Blake could eat a whole container of these in one sitting! He grabs them by the handful and pops them into his mouth! I have to ration these, otherwise we might end up with our very own Violet Beauregarde! Sprouts (same as Henrys for you California folk) has been having them on sale for 99 cents, who can resist?!?!

4. FruitaBu Fruit Flats - Gavin can down one of these in just a couple seconds! Brooklyn will only eat certain flavors and she much prefers the roll version of these.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That recipe looks good. I told my sister about it and we are both going to try it. She was going to add shredded chicken to it since her boyfriend really likes meat. I would love to see a new recipe every week. I am always looking for new ideas. I especially like the meatless meals that taste good :)

M+J said...

I can't wait to try the recipe when I'm back on dairy. It looks FABULOUS! I love new recipes and would love it if you posted a new one each week! Even if it's just new to us, but a favorite of yours.

And I love the "confessional" about your guilty pleasure treats. We all have them ... you're just brave enough to admit it!

Carrie Anne said...

I love all of those snacks, too! OH YUMMMMMMMMO! That manicotti does looks so good! I'll have to try that one out for sure!