Friday, April 11, 2008

Pioneer Women of the 21st Century

Last week, my sister-in-laws, Jen and Kristin, and I got together (my mother-in-law was there for a bit too) to grind wheat from our food storage and bake bread! I've for sure determined that I would NOT have made a good pioneer woman in the olden days. I rely too heavily on modern conveniences and tend to be a whiner *ahem* when things get "hard." Obviously, we had electric wheat grinders and a Bosch mixer to do the knead the bread for us, but I kinda felt pioneer-ish! ;) We have a long way to go before we perfect the art of bread making, but it's a good start! We're hoping to make this a regular thing, trying different bread recipes each time. Even though the bread didn't LOOK pretty, it sure didn't last long at our house!!

I'm just laughing looking at these pictures of our lumpy, flat-topped bread! We sure had a good time, though!

5 comments:

mad white woman said...

homemade bread is totally pioneerish, regardless of how you make it. :) i have a few really good recipes. if you'd like, i can e-mail them to you.

Jessica said...

Very cool. I am impressed. I would have never made it as a pioneer woman. I love my shower too much.

Heather said...

Ha. Homemade bread always taste good no matter how it looks. That sounds fun to do. I never liked bread as a kid, but when my mom made it homemade, I could eat it all day.

Jessica said...

I love grinding up wheat and making bread. It is always so good. Though it is nice to have an electric wheat grinder and a bread machine. I couldn't do it any other way. I also grind up wheat and beans and feed my kids wholesome protein pancakes. If I put enough syrup on them they will actually eat them (they still complain though):)

Carrie Anne said...

Way to go! The bread is SO GOOD, huh? It's been a while since I've made bread, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! With the Bosch and grinder, of course.:) Way to go...I have a good 9 grain recipe if you want it. Very yummmmmmy!