Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference notes

I have a lot of catching up to do on my blog, but I wanted to get this down while it's still fresh in my mind.

Brooklyn and Blake, at just their tender young age of 5, have just amazed me through this Conference.

I had both sessions of Conference playing on tv today (Sunday) while the kids were playing. I was making cookies toward the end of the second session so I was a bit noisy in the kitchen. All of a sudden, Brooklyn walked over to the tv and turned the volume up. I asked her, "Why did you do that honey?" and she answered, "I couldn't hear President Monson!" My heart just swelled to know that she WANTED to listen to what the prophet was saying. Also, just as a side note, she calls President Hinckley "President Gordon," which I find completely endearing; like he and she are on a first name basis or something!! :) Brooklyn also told me that she misses President Gordon, but she loves President Monson.

I also had all three kids sit down with me Saturday morning and before Conference started, I explained to them that we get to raise our hand to sustain our new prophet in the Solemn Assembly. As soon as President Monson stood up to preside, Blake knew exactly who that was- President Monson! And he was proud to tell everyone that day that "I raised my hand to say that I would follow President Monson!"
I have to say that I KNOW that President Thomas S. Monson is the true prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints!! I felt it in my heart that he is chosen and called by God to lead us at this time. I already feel a deep love for this man. I'm grateful that we had the opportunity to sustain him as our prophet and listen to his council.

I have to say that my favorite talk was given by M. Russell Ballard regarding mothers. It's always nice to have someone, especially a church leader, recognize and acknowledge the hard work it takes to be a mother in Zion. His words really spoke to me. Elder Ballard was my dad's mission president and I've had the opportunity to meet him and shake his hand.

8 comments:

mad white woman said...

i LOVED elder ballard's talk too. it's amazing how it seems like so often they say what's been said before, but just in a different way that is overwhelmingly beautiful.

Brandi said...

Your kids are precious! Keep up the good work and for being a good example! You are doing a great job and I to really liked his talk as well!

Brandi said...

I meant this too:)

Trenda said...

Oh, that is sweet! Elder Ballard's talk was definitely my favorite too! I hope all those husbands out there were listening really well!

Emily said...

Wait... did your dad serve his mission in Toronto because that's where Elder Ballard served!

Jen and Alec said...

I also loved Elder Ballard's talk. It was very validating. I also think you should publish your potty training advice! It sounds so succinct and well thought-out. Good luck!

Dashley said...

Where did your dad serve his mission? Elder Ballard was my mission president's mission president. He came to my mission and spoke to us- totally awesome!! When you get to meet them you feel even closer to them. His talk was wonderful. Your kids are so cute!

Weston & Jennie said...

I liked Elder Ballard's talk. To bad my husband was in taking a test at the time that it was given. :) He will have to read it later. Call me tonight. I don't have the cell phone or I would call you.