Monday, July 12, 2010

Can You Can?

Saturday, I made my first attempt at canning tomatoes. We had pulled 131 tomatoes from the garden and had to do something with them.I was a little intimidated by this task and was pretty sure I should have had someone more experienced coaching me for fear all my work would go to waste because I did something wrong.

I picked these tools of the trade up at good ole WalMart and went to work.My stove top sure got a workout!!Blanched and peeledJars filledInto their bath!I used our camp stove outside since you're not supposed to can on our glass top stove.The end result!!! Looks kinda gross, but I think it's right...
I wish I could say the effort was worth it, but it took a few hours just to get these 4 measly quarts to the processing stage so I don't know that I'll do it again. Maybe. I'd like to try seasoned tomato sauce or salsa. Wonder what I will can next?? I do need to get a pressure canner so I can can my own meats and fruits. Matt asked me if I wanted to wear my pioneer bonnet while I was doing all this. I should have!!! I'm feeling more provident already! ;)

2 comments:

JJ and Kimberly Taylor said...

You are very brave Lindsay!

Unknown said...

haha . . . pioneer bonnett would have been appropriate. that's how we've felt that last couple months. :) The tomatoes look good and yes that's the way they are supposed to look. You can try stewed tomatoes.