Tuesday, September 25, 2012

LeBaron Family Reunion '12

Friday night after Matt got home from work, we loaded up the car and headed up to the cabin in Strawberry for the LeBaron Reunion.  Thankfully, Matt had some brotherly help getting the tent set up in the dark.  The kids stayed up waaaaaaayyyyy too late, but thankfully, they fell asleep quickly.  I wondered how Hayden was going to do in the pack n play and it didn't take very long to find out.  I had her layered with a onesie and a fleece sleeper, but she doesn't stay covered up and *I* was cold if I wasn't under my sleeping bag!  She cried and cried on and off, all night long.  I kept her in my sleeping bag with me which meant that I didn't sleep hardly a wink.  The sun came up way too early and the kids were rarin' and ready to go.
Hayden in her boy jammies
These girls giggled the night away together in this tent and were awake bright and early


The theme of the reunion was "Go Far With Family" with an Olympic twist.  

We participate in some games.  There was a tournament soccer game that everyone rotated through.  A couple kids got slammed in the face with the ball by hard-kicking adults, including Preston.  Poor buddy!  He kept saying, "It was an accident!" while crying his little eyes out.

There was also distance events including javelin (paper airplane), shotput (cotton ball) and discus (paper plate).  The ongoing event was the "marathon."  Each person was given a pedometer to track their steps over the weekend.  The kids just ate this up!

I can't forget creating and cutting of the boards for our last three kiddos!  It was fun to come up with a design that will go on the wall at the cabin, symbolizing each member of the family.

We had the opportunity Frisbee golf any time that afternoon to add to our team/family points.  I am HORRIBLE at frisbee, but Matt's pretty good so he drug me along the course.  And I actually didn't do so bad this time!
We have a picture identical to this, probably 8 or so years ago.
{edited to add the pic from July 2003, 9 years ago}


There was also a bit of crafting going on with the lady-folk.  I made a knotted knit headband for each of my girls. :)  The kids made their annual plate, and I'm especially excited for Hayden's first plate.  We spent most of the rest of the afternoon chatting with people while the kids ran free.  After dinner, we headed home.  The kids were bummed to miss the closing ceremonies and getting the medals they won, but Grandma was sure to bring them home for us.

Grandma brought silly string for all the kids!

 And Hayden enjoying a snack in the "vintage" pink highchair, a picture for posterity's sake

Grandpa LeBaron's health is failing and it's really sad to see him losing awareness of who the people are that love him most.  I make sure to take pictures of him and Grandma any time I get.  I know Hayden and maybe not even Preston will remember the great man he has been, but I'm grateful to be part of such a wonderful, loving family.
Kisses for Grandpa {love}

No comments: