Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Jam Jamboree!!!

Matt has been begging and BEGGING for me to make freezer jam again (haven't made any for the past two years) but I had two delimmas-

#1, where to PUT the jam since we currently aren't in our own home and hence, don't have a lot of freezer space AND
#2, the recipe I had used before calls for a whole lotta corn syrup, which obviously isn't kosher with Blake's corn allergy.

I'd been putting off the whole process, but I had enough of Matt's whining about the *GASP* sugar free jam that I've been buying, so I decided to find some way to make the jam without the corn syrup. Thanks to some helpful friends on my parenting message boards, I used a liquid pectin and there was no need for the corn syrup! I spent a good majority of the day mashing and stirring and mixing and our result was 7 ½ containers of strawberry jam and 2 ½ containers of blueberry jam. Matt was a happy guy!!! And Blake loves that I made blueberry jam, especially for him! :)
By the way, the title is a reference from one of our favorite books (more specifically, one of Blake's favorites), Jamberry by Bruce Degan. It's really cute and you should check it out if you haven't already!
"Hatberry
Shoeberry
In my canoeberry
Under the bridge
And over the dam
Looking for berries
Berries for jam"

2 comments:

Jamey said...

Way to be creative! I know what it's like to deal with allergies:-) It's hard to please everyone.

Heather said...

That's so cool you go to Dr. Holmes too. Don't you like him? I wouldn't go to anyone else.