Thursday, January 22, 2009

Preston update ~ Thursday

Swab results came back yesterday, positive for RSV. :( The only thing that changes is that all nurses, doctors and techs that come in wear a paper gown, a mask a gloves so they don't spread the virus to other patients. The nurses said just about every child on the pediatric floor is here because of RSV. It's sad to hear other babies crying and coughing the same as Preston. Tis the season, I guess!

Preston is progressing nicely but is still not well enough to go home. He is nursing much better/longer, he is more alert and has more stamina, the mucous they are retrieving is thinner and not as substantial, he's staying well hydrated, which are all good things. The nurse tried turning off his oxygen during a feeding and he did fine for a while, but it was obvious his little body got tired of working so hard and his sats fell below 88 so the O2 went back on. We'll try again this evening to see how he tolerates it.

With RSV, it's all just a wait-and-see game. Preston has to be completely off O2 overnight, keep his sats above 90 while awake and above 88 while sleeping and not need deep suctioning to clear his lungs. He gets breathing treatments every four hours and we'll continue that at home after discharge. So chances are, we might not be home until Saturday. That's ok with me. I know this is the best place for him to be.

You KNOW I had Matt retrieve the camera for me so I have pictures to share! :)

Chillin' in the crib
Binkies the size of his head! Matt loves these kind and apparently so does Preston. I, however, do not.Doing what babies do best!! Snoozin'!
Awake and alert
Preston's Rudolph toe, as Matt dubbed it. ;) This is his pulse-ox that tells us his levels.
So precious! Puffing his "clouds"Getting beaten on the back, gently. ;) This nifty thingamajig is called a percussor. It helps loosen up all the junk inside.
My dinner last night - roast turkey, steamed broccoli, roasted red potatoes and vanilla pudding for dessert! I know hospital food gets a bad rap, but I love it!!! I mean, it's nothing gourmet, but I don't have to cook it and they bring it right to my room! What's not to love about that?!??! Pretty roses my mom brought to cheer up our room
Thanks for all your concern and prayers on our behalf! We really appreciate it. Keep 'em coming and I'll update when I can.

7 comments:

Maren said...

oh my gosh, how sad. poor little guy isnt allowed to have RSV. he is too little. i am super paranoid now with jade! did you take him out in public much? i am glad i could help a tiny bit tonight but please let me know if there is more i can do. poor you! what hospital are you at?

mad white woman said...

So sad! I was just thinking about you this morning wondering how he was doing. You have such a great attitude about it. Hope he feels better soon! And that food doesn't look half bad.

Jen Hilton said...

Wow, you stick to "beat" P is pretty fancy. They didn't have a nice thing like that when Josh was little. He is looking so good. I'm hoping to come see you tomorrow. Always in our prayers.

Emily Widdison said...

oh no! I hope he isn't there for too long. How do I keep Ruby RSV free? I'm scared now. He is such a cute baby. He looks like Gavin?? Do you just camp out at the hospital?

The Shelton Family said...

Poor, poor baby. I use to take care of these little guys and I always felt so bad for them:( Hopefully he gets to go home soon!

Heather said...

Poor little guy! I have to say that in that second picture of him, the one with the binkie, his eyes look just like Matt's. He's adorable!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Its so rough seeing such a precious tender little soul in the hospital. He looks like hes being a real tropper.

As for the hospital food, I hear ya! St. Jude here has one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches in town. ;o)

I actually kind of want it now.

Our prayers will continue to be with Preston and your fam!