Thursday, January 13, 2011

FIVE!!!!

Gavin turned the big 5 years old today!!!! So hard for me to believe!!! (maybe I felt the same way when Brooklyn and Blake turned 5...) I really have noticed lately how much he's starting to look older. Gavin has always been my little sidekick and I think I'm in denial that he'll be starting kindergarten in a little over 6 months. *sigh* I've told him several times recently that I want to package him up and have him stay 4 forever, but he just didn't listen to me!!Today was a preschool day, so we took for Dunkin Donut munchkins to share with his class. Gavin chose to go to lunch at Chick-fil-A so we invited Spencer, his cousin-slash-bestfriend, to come along. They had a grand time playing in the playplace while Kristin and I chatted away.
The rest of the day was kinda typical. Matt had to work in Yuma so I knew it would be a late night. I got to work on Gavin's cake and general cleanup. When I asked Gavin what he wanted to dinner, he said PIZZA!!! So I said, easy enough, and picked up the phone for Pizza Hut delivery! We ate real quick and got down to birthday business. Poor guy had been waiting ALL DAY LONG for his presents!!! I loved his facial expressions each time he opened a gift~
Then Daddy brought out this one.....
After gifts, we did cake. Of course there is a story behind the cake. I'm pretty sure I gave the story behind the cake TWO years ago when he requested the same kinda of cake- a "CARROT" cake. No, it's not really a carrot cake inside, he just wants a carrot decoration on it like the ones he sees at the grocery store!!! LOL!
Proof that it is indeed chocolate cake inside....
(completely homemade, cake and frosting, and SO delicious!!!!)
Gavin is really just the sweetest kid around. Most days. ;) He comes up with the funniest things sometimes! His laugh makes me laugh. He is tender-hearted and one of the things I love is when he's trying to be brave when he's upset, gets a pouty lip and it trying to keep himself from bursting into tears. Those times I just have to pick him up and hold him for a minute. ♥ Gavin gets away with a lot (Matt reminds me of this frequently) but I'm really trying to be better about sticking to my word with him.

He loves Bakugan, Pokemon, and Star Wars. He likes to play with Legos and play the Wii, specifically Lego Star Wars. He is a pretty good eater with his favorites (I just asked him) being cheese crisps and pizza. Don't think that's all we ever eat, though. haha! He also loves most ANY fruit; strawberries, blueberries, oranges, grapefruit, cantaloupe, bananas, grapes, apples, pears, pineapple, but NOT watermelon. He'll eat MOST veggies with his faves being carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas (raw) and broccoli. His favorite cereal is Cinnamon Life, but would always prefer "hot oatmeal," as he calls it cooked on the stove, or pancakes. He calls his swirly cow-lick on the front of his head his "squirrel" and every time I cut his hair, he makes sure that I don't cut his "squirrel" off. ;) He'll stay in his pjs all day long unless I make him change. Gavin still loves music and I'm amazed at how quickly he picks up lyrics to songs on the radio.

He's having his very first friend birthday party this weekend and he's SO so excited about that!

Some pics from Gavin's birth until now...
Such a BIG boy!!! Happy Birthday, Gavin!!! We love you so much!

{5 yr stats}
weight- 36.8 lbs 21st %ile
height- 43 in 52nd %ile

2 comments:

Herb Hamilton :0) said...

I'm a llittle concerned that you let him stand in the sunshine behind the screened door too long though, evidenced by the spotty sun tanned spots on his "cute" little nose!! He, he, he......

Grandpa H :0)

Heather said...

This was such a cute post! Those pictures from when he was a baby/toddler are SO ADORABLE! I really like the radio flyer scooter picture.