Thursday, March 15, 2012

New Wheels

Matt bought this blue 1998 Honda Civic when we moved back to Arizona halfway through his last year of optometry school, 4 1/2 years ago. Since it's an older car, it's definitely needed a little TLC over the past few years. The brakes were desperately needing to be replaced and when Matt took it in to the shop last week, they let us know it needed about $3000 worth of work done and that's not even including new tires, which also needed to happen soon.
Matt's thoughts - When I bought the Civic I instantly knew it was the right thing to do. The day I drove it away I owned it with no payments. There is something nice about that. I had repairs along the way but the car was very reliable. However, the one thing I could always guarantee was that whenever I parked in a parking lot my car would be the ugliest. I didn't mind using it as a mode of transportation, but I purposefully avoided giving any other doctors rides because it was not presentable in that way. That didn't allow for as many opportunities to build relationships with referring providers. At the same time I held the car as a badge of honor that helped remind me of where I came from, the need to be frugal and to live by the motto "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without." I bought the car for $3500 in 2007 with 111,000 miles on it and sold it for $1900 in 2012 with 206,000 miles on it. I hope to remember this car for a long time because it was more than just a mode of transportation for me.

Matt has been wanting a new vehicle for awhile now, more specifically a truck. I argued that he needed to stick with a small sedan because most days, he commutes roughly 40 miles EACH WAY to work and I knew a car would get better gas mileage, especially now that gas is nearing $4/gallon. When we received word about his Civic, we knew the time had come. His car wasn't even worth $3000!

Finding a new car pretty much consumed Matt's time over the last week. And last night, Matt finally upgraded from his dusty old Civic to a brand spankin' new 2012 Hyundai Sonata!!Matt kept saying "thank you" alllllllllll night long! He has deserved a better car than what he had for a long time. It wasn't exactly in the plans right now, but I'm glad he can drive a reliable car and be comfortable with A/C this summer (he suffered last year without).

This will be the car that Brooklyn & Blake drive in 7 years! *gulp*

No comments: