Friday, August 6, 2010

Mouth Maintenance

This morning, the three older kids and I headed to the dentist for loooooong overdue teeth cleanings. And by overdue, I mean YEARS overdue!! The kids' last cleaning was 1 1/2 years ago and I'm completely embarrassed to admit that I haven't had my teeth cleaned in 6 years. Disgusting, I know. This is coming from an every-six-monther my whole life!! And I've never had a cavity in my life despite my love of sugar. I do have plenty of excuses:

1. While in optometry school, I didn't trust picking a dentist via eeny-meeny-miney-mo out from the limited state insurance list
2. No dental insurance
3. Having to find time and sitters for the kids

I know excuses are like armpits, they all stink.

Due to the length of time that has gone by, I was terrified we were going to be dealing with all sorts of cavities. I was silently praying that the kids have inherited my good teeth, not Matt's awful ones. I'm AM quite the toothbrushing Nazi, just ask Matt. One day I asked him, "If I were to die today, would you make sure the kids' teeth were brushed every night?" And he said, "Probably not." Thanks babe! >:-[ I will admit that I still brush Blake's teeth every night (he's SEVEN) because I don't trust him to do a good enough job, and of course Gavin's. Brooklyn does a pretty good job on her own but lately I've freaked that she's not doing a good enough job on her front bottom teeth, so I've assisted her. When school starts back up again, we'll resume our morning brushing as well. I'm not as Nazi about that during summer. The kids do use Listerine Smart Rinse (which we love because it colors any "sugar bugs" the kids spit out) but I need to start flossing them nightly too.

Anywho, the kids did fabulously and now all our teeth are sparkly white again! The hygienist did have to spend a lot of time scraping the crapola off my teeth, but nothing too traumatic.

BUT!!!!!

ONE of us has cavitieS. As in plural.






Yep, there goes my 28 year streak of perfect teeth. *pout* It's actually surface cavities between my left bottom back molars so it counts as two. The dentist called it "flossing" cavities - the kind that can be avoided by flossing daily. Guess who will be adding one more thing to her bedtime routine starting TODAY???! --> ME!

And you can bet I scheduled out our teeth cleanings for the next six years!!!! ;)

2 comments:

Kasey said...

I still brush my kids teeth too. Usually I'll let them do the night brushing themselves, but I'm a freak about clean teeth and smelly breath, so I usually do them in the mornings so I don't gag at their stinky breath. I'm selfish like that.

Emily Widdison said...

you must have so pretty awesome teeth or eat no sugar! Congrats kiddos...better luck next time mama!