Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Stormy Weather

Monday night, we had a HUGE monsoon storm blow through our area. It poured buckets of rain (even some hail!), we saw hundreds of lightning flashes and heard lots of rumbling from above. (sidenote: I couldn't help but think of the baseball scene in Twilight every time I heard a clap of thunder!) I absolutely love watching a good storm. Our power flickered and went off around 7:30pm, so after the rain stopped, we took the kids outside for a walk. I wanted to try to get some lightning pictures too. There was this super crazy loud sound going on and it was the FROGS!!!! We live right down the street (four houses in) from a golf course and I guess the frogs were lovin' all the rain!! We saw this extra-large, honkin' huge, monster of an amphibian just chillin' along the side of the road!
After awhile, we went back inside to get the kids in bed and it was sweltering in the house!!! Hot and muggy. Blech. We took one of our electric camping lanterns upstairs to leave in the kids' hallway. They were complaining that it was too warm and I was pretty miserable myself. What the heck are you supposed to do without any lights??? So Matt & I just laid down in the family room and went to sleep. The power finally came back on at 10:30ish and we were instantly relieved by cool air. Ahhhhhh!

I love the smell of the desert after it rains!! I missed the monsoon season so much when we were in California. Although the humidity is less than desirable, I'll take any chance that we get to experience some good rain, thunder and lightning!!

4 comments:

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I love storms! One of the best I've seen was in TX. Looking forward to our TX trip in late Sept., as we're likely to get some good storms while we're there. :o)

Kasey said...

Frogs...SICK! Our electricity never went off. You so could have come over here. We must be the bomb!

skinners said...

awesome lightening pic! and i forgot about all the frogs out there. my dad used to take us out to 'higley' (thats what we called my grandpa's farm out there) to ctach frongs in the irrigation ditches and they do get huge!

skinners said...

frogs, NOT frongs :)