Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Learning new skills

Brooklyn was invited to a birthday party at Skateland this evening. Thankfully, my sis watched the boys so I could go with Brooklyn and experience her first time on roller skates.

Whoa nelly, was that ever interesting!!!! I don't know why I just expected her to get out there and be a natural????? I held her by the arm and her feet were going willy-nilly, frontward and backward, all over the place! I tried to explain how to glide forward, right then left, but she could barely hold her balance at all. She cried, saying she wanted to be good at skating like everyone else that was there. I reminded her that this was her very first time and it takes practice to be able to skate. She had plenty of falls and we took a break every time we made it around the rink. She was determined to get it, though, and I was there by her side every "skate" ;) of the way.

Check out the death grip I have on her arm!!!!! *blush*
The wall was her best friendWatching her feetGetting more brave....There's a smile!!
We were there for about 2 hours and FINALLY by the end, she was cautiously skating along, a little more upright with her arms spread wide. I was SO thrilled when she actually started moving forward, on her own without holding onto anything(wall)/anyone(me)! My eyes brimmed with tears as I watched her bravely do it all on her own! Go Brooklyn!


2 comments:

Heather said...

Way to go Brooklyn! Nice skating backwards Mom to get it on film!

Lindsay said...

Oh Heather, I was NOT wearing skates! ;) I probably would've killed myself trying to help her too! LOL!