Saturday, November 6, 2010

I is for....

I taught preschool again this week! When I first saw that I had the letter I, I was instantly bummed because I didn't think there was much to be done with that. I was wrong and we had a great time! Plus, we got to have a cousin over to join our group!

Tuesday was all about ICE CREAM!!! I read the book Curious George Goes to the Ice Cream Parlor. I put a bit of a math spin on the activities-- we did gigantic paper ice cream cones where they glued the numbers on and had to line them up in numerical order.
Preston, Gavin, Carson Carrasco, Spencer, Kate Oitzman, Madelynn Candland, Hannah Connelly
For our snack, I decided that we'd make our very OWN ice cream in ziplock bags! The kids had fun shaka-shaka-shakin' the mix together until it turned into soft serve. We added a few toppings and they all loved it!
After snack, we transitioned to InChWoRmS. I read Inch by Inch, then we talked about how things are bigger, smaller, shorter and longer. They cut out and lined up inchworms shortest to longest on a posterboard strip.

Thursday, our theme for the day was INDIANS!!! I know, not very PC these days. Anyway. I was able to tie in our monthly theme of Thanksgiving & Gratitude with this one pretty easily! I read a book about the first Thanksgiving, then we moved right to the table for craft time. Each kid FINGERpainted their own paper bag Indian vest. Crazy idea!! Some kids went all out with their paintings (Kate), others didn't care for their fingers being dirty (Gavin). I constructed Indian headbands with feathers they each chose, then we made colored noodle necklaces. For snack, we made a Harvest Blessing mix with each child being able to add something symbolic to Thanksgiving.
I tried to quickly have the kids tell me what they were thankful for so we could construct these darling foam gratitude trees, but by that time, they just wanted to play. I also had cute Thanksgiving sticker pages from OTC that we didn't get time to do so I sent them home to finish later.
It was a bit crazy both days because I tried to squeeze waaaaaaaaaaaay too many fun ideas/projects/activities into too little time. Next time, I need to remember to SIMPLIFY. Less is more, right???

1 comment:

Jen Hilton said...

so much fun Linds! I knew you'd be great at the whole preschool thing!.