Thursday, February 28, 2013

Little Scientists

Brooklyn & Blake have been working on their science fair projects since December and they were due this month.  Matt took the reigns with Blake and I partnered with Brooklyn.  These types of projects are my faaaaaavorite (dripping sarcasm) and seem like a lot of extra work for the parents.  They aren't quite at the age or have the personalities to just memorize poems or write book reports or complete huge projects on their own.  I did like how there were set deadlines spread throughout the two months so there wasn't a huge rush to get it all done at the very end.  On the other hand, I felt like we were staying up late way too frequently working on sections due the next day.  Can I say what a sigh of relief it was when these projects were finally complete???!  My non-scientific mind nearly exploded.  Thank heavens for Matt!

Blake chose to test different fruits and vegetables and see the amount of electricity each produced.  We purchased an inexpensive volt meter and they went to town!  His hypothesis was that the lemon would produce the most electricity.  I was surprised by the results because I thought citrus would obviously be the highest due to its acidity.


The APPLE wins!  

Here's his completed display board--

A panel of judges picks the best from each class to be in the "Science Fair," which basically meant it was on display this week for parents/students to come view during student-led conferences.  Blake's made it into the Fair, but didn't win a ribbon.  Still, pretty cool!


Brooklyn did something called swimming raisins.  You mix vinegar + water with baking soda, then drop the raisins in.  Bubbles collect around each raisin and then they float to the top.  It was fun to watch!  I think at one point, Matt even commented what a cool mom I was. ;)  That was probably after the fourth VOLCANO we created, trying to do the dang experiment!!!!!!!


Small jar = overflow
 (this one was after I got smart and put a pan to catch the mess)

Bigger jar should work....

Nope.

Back to a small jar, trying to adjust ratios to avoid spillage, notice the table is still wet.

 Here's her finished display board--

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

I'm already worried about how I'll fail as a mother when this day comes for my kids. :) Posting your IG stuff is such a good idea! I might have to copy you.