Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 9/11

I can't believe six years has passed since the fall of the Twin Towers. I still remember exactly what I was doing that day.... I was a sophomore at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, AZ. I was tired and decided to "forego" my first class that morning. I was asleep and I heard a knock on our door and it was one of my suitemates; she told me to turn on the tv, quickly. We sat there in horror and watched as they replayed that awful scene of the plane crashing into the second tower over and over and over again. This had to be some sort of joke! Later that day, I remember getting ready for my afternoon classes and how somber the mood was on campus as I walked to class. It was like a heavy blanket had been placed over everything. One teacher challenged us to go home and think about one person that impacted your life for good. One of my elementary ed teachers was adamant that we not let "them" win. We WOULD go on. In that class, we compiled inspirational poetry and original artwork that were bound in a booklet and sent the children of NYC. Here is my contribution, a poem-

A Time to Call Our Own

A nation stops in unbelief,
Racked with pain and emotion
.
Terror rips sturdy walls away
But this is a time to call our
own.

Tears are shed as innocent lives are lost
Not knowing the outcome.
Silent prayers are heard
In this time of infinite need.

Rising above the chaos
Standing together as one.
Finding hope in fellowman
Reaching out a helping hand.

Nothing can separate the love of another
No one can take what’s dee
p inside.
Let our voices rise above
This is a time to call our own.

~Dedicated to the family and loved ones of those who lost their lives on a day of tragedy…
Written by: Lindsay Hamilton
September 18, 2001

I remember the strong sense of patriotism after that day. People coming together, setting aside their differences, for the sake of allegiance to our great and noble country. My prayers go out to those who lost friends and family in this hostile attack. I can't imagine suffering a loss so tragic!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Your poem just gave me the chills. I was a freshman at USU on my way to class when I heard the news. I was in shock. Sometimes it doesn't seem real because it was across the country. I watched a special on it the other day and I found myself very emotional. We will never forget.

summer c said...

I got chills also. I didn't even realize that today was the 11. I asked my husband "today is the 9th?" (I know, I'm loosing it more and more with each kid) of course he looked at me and said "no, its the 11th" and a wave of guilt swept over me. I is such an important event in our history to remember. I was also driving to work at school (SUU, a sophmore) and heard it on the radio. I was so confused! It was such a sad day. Thanks for your tribute! It was very touching.

Trenda said...

Loved the poem! I was on my mission in Portugal when the terrorists attacked. My companion and I knocked on a members door and when she opened the door, she had a panicked expression on her face. She proceeded to say, "Your country is under attack by terrorists!" What??? My companion and I were very confused! And of course concerned! She brought us into her home where she was watching the news, and we saw the second plane hit the tower! Talk about feeling out of the loop . . . we couldn't watch tv or listen to the radio, so we tried to get as much info as we could from people and magazines when we were at the store! And of course, everyone was interesed in talking to us about it since we were americans. They kept asking if my family was ok, and I tried to explain that Portugal was closer to New York than California was, but they didn't seem to comprehend! Funny!

summer c said...

HEY, WILL YOU TELL TRENDA THAT THE REASON THE TULIPS TEMPLATES ARE ALL MESSED UP FOR ME? APPARENTLY SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE USED HER TEMPLATES AND SHE CAN ONLY HAVE SO MANY USED PER MONTH AND IT HAS EXCEEDED THAT NUMBER. SO NEXT MONTH IT WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, CHECK OUT TRENDA'S BLOG. THX

mad white woman said...

fun mom, great photographer and now poet? i had no clue! ;)