Monday, August 3, 2009

Back to School!

What? Seriously? It's that time of the year again!!!! I can't believe our summer just flew right by! I survived! Barely.

Today was Brooklyn and Blake's first day of 1st grade!! They are attending the neighborhood public school while we are on the waiting list for a nearby charter school. You could feel the exhilaration in the air this morning as we were getting new clothes on, having a yummy breakfast and packing the first of hundreds of lunches this school year.























Let me tell you how ecstatic they were to ride the BUS!!!!! I feel like I'm letting loose a little bit, by allowing them to ride the bus to and from school, since I'm a carseat nazi and all, but seriously the school is literally 5 minutes up the road and their bus driver is in our ward!!

Of course I had to follow the bus to school on the first day ;)
Storytime: I parked the car and unloaded the little boys to go meet Brooklyn and Blake on the playground and walk them into their classroom. Well, I couldn't see them anywhere on the playground and was a bit freaked for a bit. I checked their classrooms, just to make sure they didn't go there. When it was time to line up, still no Blake & Brooklyn. Eventually, some teacher/admin brought Brooklyn around the corner, then another with Blake. Apparently they joined together on the BIG kids' playground!! We clarified where they are supposed to go directly from the bus so I trust it won't happen again. ;)


Blake and Brooklyn are in different classes this year. Brooklyn was ecstatic. Blake was heartbroken. Which is why they NEED to be in separate classes. Blake relies heavily on Brooklyn socially. He wants/needs to be by her alllllll the time and she doesn't like it. It got so bad last year that in the cafeteria, they had to assign Blake days he could sit by Brooklyn (Tues/Thurs) and she could sit by her friends the other days. It makes my heart sad, but he needs to learn to hold his own. He had no problem making friends last year, but it's obvious he's still very attached to his sister. We won't tolerate Brooklyn being mean or rude to her brother, she just needs a little space. I do not regret keeping them together for kindergarten and I know they'll do just fine in their own classrooms.

Then I got to hang out with just these two dudes all day!! :)
(Retarded pic of Gavin, but it's the best I got. It was bright outside!)
Boy was it quiet around here! Gav enjoyed roaming the house in peace. I played {the non-glamorous} Cinderella and started back up on my Monday laundry routine. I'm flat out exhausted after the first day of school! Better head up to the shower then off to bed. It's a school night! ;)

6 comments:

Emily Widdison said...

school started already? I forgot AZ starts very early.
Cute 1st day pics. Sad and cute how much Blake loves his sister!!

Underwood's in Cali said...

Wow, they are in separate classes. I'm sure I would have separation anxiety also, but now they'll have twice the friends :)

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I think its so sweet that Blake wants his sis so much for support. I can see where that would be hard though.

I can't get over that your kids are in the 1st grade, in separate classes, riding the bus! I feel like that day will never come & at the same time, I feel like it will come faster than I can blink.

Sigh...motherhood.

mad white woman said...

This summer has FLOWN by and I don't even have a kid starting school. That's sweet that Blake relies on Brooklynn so much. Aww, so cute.

J,B,A,P Hatch said...

yeah for the first day of school! It's like you get to do it all over again huh:) Your kids are so cute. Bummer about your diaper problem. I have always had the opposite experience w/ my kids. Pampers always bothered me...my kids always leaked. My kids are straight huggies nothing else. Never had a leaking problem. The only thing I can suggest for you is may be try a bigger size? Not sure if it will help but worth a try. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Christensen's said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.