Tuesday, May 29, 2007

First stop on our vacation ~ Cedar City, UT!

Matt couldn't come with us for the first part of the trip because he had finals to take. So my little sis, Brittney (or Burtney, as the kids call her) flew out here from St. George to drive with me back to UT. We left on Wednesday morning and we stopped in Barstow at the Old Navy outlet. Whoop, whoop!! I literally could have spent HOURS in there!!!! Cheap prices from wall to wall! I walked out of there without doing too much damage. ;) We continued on through Vegas and met my mom in St. George (she'd flown up the day before). I dropped my sis of at her house and my mom drove with us to Cedar. The kids were pretty good, thanks to the portable DVD player and a good aunt! The drive seemed to go a lot quicker than it really did, too!

When we got to my grandma's house, the first thing the kids did was play in the gutter out front! My siblings and I used to float things down the gutter when we were little! :) My mom had to hold onto Gavin as he leaned over the curb, otherwise he would have fallen in!! Brooklyn instantly warmed up to great-grandpa and had him reading her a book just minutes after we walked through the door!

Thursday, I took the kids across the street to Canyon Park, another place of fond childhood memories for me! They played on the playground equipment for awhile before we headed down to the little creek. We rolled up our pants and stuck our toes into the chilly water. Gavin, oh Gavin!! The kid was throwing the biggest tantrum because I wouldn't let go of him! Apparently he thought he could just walk in the creek by himself. Blake sat on the little sidewalk bridge and was kicking his feet like a maniac! He proceeded to soak himself thoroughly!Both Brooklyn and Blake just had a really good time playing in the water. We tossed sticks in the water and caught them before they floated under the bridge. It made me so excited to see MY kids doing the same things that I did when I was a kid! :)Becky and Taylor also came up to Utah and on Saturday, they took Brooklyn with them to St. George to pick up Brittney for our cousin's wedding reception later that evening. While Gavin was napping, I took Blake back to the park and let him play in the creek again. It was so cute, watching him pick rocks up with his toes and toss them back into the water! When we returned back to grandma's house, he kept asking, "Where's Brooklyn?" and then he said, "Brooklyn's my best friend!" Awhhhhh! Talk about making my mommy heart melt!!! She was back shortly thereafter and they were back to fighting like cats and dogs soon enough! ;) My cousin's wedding reception was beautiful. It was so good to see cousins and family members I haven't seen in YEARS!!

We also took a FOUR GENERATION picture again with Brooklyn, me, my mom and her mom. Last time we did this, Brooklyn was 6 months old and I'm glad we got the chance to do it again! Here are both pics, as a comparison-

August 2003
May 2007
I'm really glad I got the opportunity to take the kids with me to Utah to see my grandparents. I'm sad that Matt couldn't be there with us. My grandparents are both getting older and it's harder for them to be up and moving around. I don't know when the day will come that they aren't here with us anymore, so I'm glad I got to see them again.

Ok, end of this one, on to the next part of our trip! :)

No comments: