Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Our first stitches!!

You know, I'd actually been wondering when our first experience would come when a child of ours would need stitches! And guess who got that honor???? Nobody else, but BLAKE!!!

Friday (5/25), Matt and I were back in the bedroom at his parents' house, finishing packing up the last of our things so we could go stay at my parents' house for the remainder of our trip. Brooklyn and Blake were in the family room, throwing their blankets up in the air and catching them/letting them land on their heads. They were giggling and having a good time, plus they were keeping themselves busy while we packed. Next thing we know, there is a "SMACK!" and Blake starts crying. I told Matt he'd better go check since that sounded like an "I'm hurt" cry. Sure enough, Matt calls out, "I think we're going to need our first stitches!" Blake had gashed his forehead open on the fireplace hearth!! I got a washcloth to hold on his wound while Matt found some gauze to tape to his forehead. I called my mom and asked if we could drop the other two kids off while we took Blake to Urgent Care. I came back to help Matt and caught a glimpse of Blake's gash and I started to feel like I was going to pass out! I've never been good with large amounts of blood, especially when it's coming from your own child!! I went an laid down until we headed out the door.

I dropped Matt and Blake of at the Urgent Care, which was just down the road, and as soon as I drove off to take Brooklyn and Gavin to my mom's, Brooklyn says, "I love Blake SO much!" Awwwhhhh! Another heart-melting moment!! I assured her that Blakey would be just fine and the doctors would fix his owie. I came back to the Urgent Care and we waited about an hour before being seen. They said he'd definitely need stitches since the would was so deep. A very nice, young physician's assistant did the job and Blake was a trooper!! Daddy stayed by him the entire time, but Mommy had to sit back where I couldn't see what they were doing, for fear I might REALLY pass out!! Blake ended up getting three stitches and ended up with a bunch of Spiderman stickers as a reward for being so good! :)

All in all, Blake hasn't really been fazed at all by his accident. We'll take him to the pediatrician in the next couple days to have the stitches removed. He'll have a pretty nice scar to show from it!!

1 comment:

mad white woman said...

yowch! that made me queasy just reading about it! :) and where are you building in qc? what builder/subdivision? we aren't too far from qc so i was just curious. i will probably pass out if any of my kids bleed like that. i was cutting jason's hair once and cut my own finger and had to sit down for about 30 minutes before resuming cutting his hair.