Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why do these things happen???? House update

I'll just say it first thing- we're backing out of our house. Yes, again, although this time it's not our fault. Explanation to follow:

The first house, we just signed too early, therefore it was going to be completed way before we moved back to AZ. This time, it's about the funding. Many people probably are wondering how we could afford to build a house while we're still in grad school. We're living on student loans and the mortgage on this house is really not that much more than what we are already paying per month for our stinkin' little apartment here in CA. BUT, since we technically don't have an "income," there was only one loan we could qualify for, one where you don't have to prove income. Matt and I both have decent credit so we were able to qualify. About a week and a half ago, we get a call from our loan officer saying that the loan that we have to have in order to get the house is no longer in existence. WHAT?!? Well, basically, there are so many foreclosures and other garbage going on that the mortgage market has gone down. So, we could go for another loan and have to put 10% down- not an option, we don't have $20,000 just lying around- or we could co-sign with someone and then deal with taking them off later- uh, not gonna happen. If we can't do this on our own, we're not doing it. So we basically told our sales lady that we're backing out. We lose all our earnest deposit ($6500) because we signed saying that if for any reason we don't close on this house, the money is nonrefundable. We thought it wouldn't be a problem since they so graciously allowed us to transfer our earnest deposit from the first house to the second house. We didn't know that the loan we needed would evaporate into thin air just two and a half months before we're moving back to AZ. I'm just tired of this up and down emotional rollercoaster!!! I'm a woman! I get emotionally attached to these houses!! I want a house! But it looks like we get to live in ANOTHER apartment for ANOTHER year or so. Last night I made Matt promise me that after all we've been through with houses these past 8 months that he'll give me a castle. LOL!

Also, to add to my hopes being dashed, a potential job offer that Matt had been pursuing for the last 9 months is gone. The OD sold his practice to someone else.

Six months ago, I was thinking that everything was falling into place for us and now I feel like everything is falling apart. A lot of this played into my anxiety blog entry last week, but I just couldn't reveal the info quite yet because we weren't sure on either account. There has to be something bigger and better out there for us. There just HAS to!! I can't handle another disappointment! Like what I said before, I just have to exercise faith and know that the Lord has a plan for us. I feel a lot more at peace with all these trials since Matt and I fasted and prayed about where the future is leading us. But it still scares me that we're back to square one in so many ways! Just breathe..... One foot in front of the other.

5 comments:

summer c said...

I'm so sorry! Life is rough when you are trying to plan your future. I remember how hard it was trying to get everything in place and organized b/f graduation. We actually ended living in a roach infested (well they tried to spray) apartment for six months b/f our house was done. The night we got to nevada I was so excited. Only to open the door to our brand new life and find dead roaches on the floor, red stains on the carpet, no a/c (in 106 degree heat)and a broken dishwasher. IT is so hard to see, but for sure there will be light at the end of the tunnel. I still can't understand why anyone would be stupid enough to lend money to a couple in debt up to their eyeballs. But somehow they did. Just like they will with you guys. Patients is a virtue! Something i am sure is hard to hear. But it truly is. Good luck!

Trenda said...

Sorry to hear all this! At least you know that you aren't alone at square one! I guess the difference is that you have been to square 2 and 3 and now you have to backtrack! We have never made it past square on in the first place . . . I don't know if that makes you feel any better though. That would be really dissapointing!

Maren said...

linds that bites! i pretty much want to cry for you. come live with us! we have 2 extra rooms. everything happens for a reason and although we dont know what those reasons are, it will all work out and be for the best. the housing market is so scary right now so you are actually in a good situation to see what will happen in the next few months. i was really looking forward to being neighbors!!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Lindsay, that has to be rough news to take. We will certainly keep you guys in our prayers. I'm sure there is something even better around the corner, just continue to hold on to your faith.

Carrie Anne said...

I'm so sorry Lindsay! So frustrating I am sure. But sometimes we don't sees what better options are ahead; we can't think of or know of everything which is not always fun, I know. Just know that ultimately the best things will happen and you and your family will be okay. Enjoy your trip to AZ! I can't believe how old the kids are! And I love Brooklyn's hair! It gives me hope for Rebecca's, but Brooklyn's is so pretty. Talk to you soon.:)