Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Grocery shopping woes

I finished making my menus for the next week and a half and hit the grocery store tonight after we got the kids bathed and in bed. I'm usually at the grocery store late at night since I'm not about to drag all three kids with me. Once the kids are in bed, I can take my sweet time, making sure I get everything I need, without being rushed. I swear, grocery shopping in and of itself is a workout!! Everything from the shelves into the cart, everything out of the cart onto the conveyor belt. Everything back into the cart, and everything back out of the cart and into the car. Everything out of the car, into the house. Everything put away. Whew!!

Anyway, I make my trip tonight and head straight to the deli counter to get some sandwich meat. The dude behind the counter is cleaning the slicers and I ask if they are closed. He asked me what I needed and I told him I wanted a pound of the turkey on sale. He sliced it up for me and then I head to the meat counter to get some boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Nope, they are in the middle of cleaning everything up. But what ticks me off the most is there is a sign on the wall in plain view, stating the hours of both the deli and the meat counters, which *should* be open until 10:00pm. Ok, well it wasn't even 9:00pm before I got there and they are both already closing up shop. And this isn't the first time that I've had this problem. I'm seriously going to call tomorrow and leave a complaint with the manager. There are some people, like me, that can only get to the grocery store in the evening after the kids are in bed. And if these counters should be open until 10:00pm, then why aren't they??!? If they are going to be closed at 8:40pm, please change the sign so I know.

Oh, but I have more. That's not where the story ends! As I go, I neatly stack the items in my cart so that everything fits, even if I'm shopping for two weeks worth of groceries. The bag boys don't quite understand that concept, apparently. Sometimes my cart is filled precariously to the brim, but tonight was not one of those nights. I had a lot of food, but my cart was not overflowing. The bagger thought I needed a second cart in order to fit all my groceries. So he proceeds to start filling another cart when there was plenty of room left in my original cart. Bag boy takes off while the checker is finishing up my transaction, leaving me alone to drag these two carts BY MYSELF out to the car. Good thing I'm a burly woman and could perform such a complicated task! Must be those days of pushing a double stroller and pulling a cart behind me that prepared me for such an event! ;) I was rather embarrassed, trying to control two carts all the way out to my car. Where the heck did bag boy go?? Probably goofing off with his friends that were calling to him while he was bagging my groceries. Thanks bagger boy, I really appreciate it.

No comments: