Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Where is Thumbkin??


Brooklyn and Blake were binky babies, so naturally, when Gavin was born, I tried to offer him a pacifier. He didn't really take to it, but he would suck on one right before falling asleep, then it would fall out of his mouth. At three months old, I went in to check on Gavin and I found him sucking his thumb!!! Since then, he's been a thumb-sucker. Usually he would suck on his thumb when he's either hungry or tired. And today, at almost 15 months old, he's still going strong with that thing! It seems like his thumb is in his mouth more frequently than ever before! I think it's the cutest thing to see him with his thumb in his mouth, but it won't be so cute when we try to break him of the habit. That should prove to be interesting since you can't take a thumb away or cut off the tip of it, like we did with Brooklyn and Blake's binkies. Matt thinks that we should try to break Gavin of it now, but honestly, I'm not ready! I think part of the reason that Gavin has been such a good, laid back baby is because he's had that thumb to soothe himself with. No rushing in to his crib in the middle of the night to pop a binky back in. Lately, too, Gavin has become really attached to a blanket that his great-grandma Adams made for him. He'll hold the blanket in his left hand up by his face and he sucks his right thumb. Just melts my heart! For now, Gavin can have his thumb. ;)

Blake calls thumbs, "funkins," as in "Where is Thumbkin." So when I ask Blake what Gavin is doing, he'll say, "He's sucking on his funkin!" LOL!!!

No comments: